Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Column Switch-a-roo and a Great Yard Sale Find

My sister is in the process of changing up the outside of her house.  One reason being she had hail damage earlier this year and she's getting a new roof and the other reason being....well, it's time for an update.  So the first order of business was getting rid of those out-dated iron scroll-work columns. 


Aren't they a sight?


Can you guess who the one was to remove the old ones and rebuild brand spankin' new ones?  Yep....my dad.  The night before, we scoped out column sizes in her neighborhood and decided that 8 inch columns would look best on her house.  So the next day, dad cut away the old iron, constructed the new columns, installed them on the porch and painted them.  That man can do anything!! 

So....out with the old and in with the new!



It makes the house look so much more like it's living in this century. 



And a view from the street....


That is one good-lookin' column!  Just look at how strong and column-y he is.  Please excuse the beer bottles in the background.  The handy man hadn't cleaned up his mess yet.  Isn't it a requirement for men to drink beer when they work outside?  Oh, it's not?  I guess it is for the VanHoose men.


So next on the list is new roof, paint and windows.  We looked at colors over the weekend and I think she's going with a green, beige, and black combo.  All of the brick will be painted green....not so much of a lighter, neutral green but more of an army green.  The roof will be black and she's even thinking of possibly doing black windows.  Ooo la la!  The rest of the house will be the same color as the columns.  I can't wait until it's done because you don't understand the love I have for a good before and after.  It makes me just as excited as witnessing UK win a football game!

Just when you thought I was wrapping this post up....I got a little somethin' else to show ya.  While my dad was working away, my sister and I went to a Zumba class that morning.  On our way home, we saw a huge yard sale just a few houses down from my sister.  I literally had my face pressed up against the window as we drove by looking at all the goodness in the yard.  I hopped outta the car and walked my still-sweaty self down to the yard sale and fell in love about 4 different times.  But the piece that really stole my heart was this beauty....


It came with a mirror but I didn't want it so I was able to get them down on the price.  This piece is solid wood and the drawers have dove-tail joints so it's a high quality piece of furniture.  They were wanting to sell it for $100 but I got them down to $75.  Not bad for such a great piece. 


I mean, just look at the detail on this baby!


As for where I'll put it, I originally thought it would be my bar but it's actually too long for the space so then I thought I would replace it with my current dresser in my bedroom since my current dresser is small and I still have those clear plastic drawers in my closet from college.  This will hold a lot more of my stuff so I can get rid of those ole plastic drawers.  I'll probably end up repainting it since it's got some chips in it.  Then I'll replace the hardware.  I'm debating whether or not to remove the brackets on the legs.  It's a neat detail but it would look more streamlined without them.  Who knows when I'll get around to doing it because....well....it's still in my sister's garage in Louisville....and it's been there since June.  Hopefully I can get it before the weather gets too cold.  Oh I can't wait to get my hands on this guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment