Sunday, August 22, 2010

Pops at the Park 2010

It's our favorite (and most competitive) time of year....Pops at the Park! For those of you that don't live in Richmond, Pops at the Park is an annual event that is put on by the Richmond Area Arts Council and Chamber of Commerce. It's so much fun and a great excuse to dress up! Every year they have an overall theme and people decorate their tables or blankets around that theme. Towards the end of the night, they hand out awards for Best Theme, Best Food, Best Blanket and Judges' Choice. We clearly will never win the Best Food category but we've placed 3 out of the 4 times we've participated for Best Theme. Which is impressive considering the number of tables at this event! I don't know what the final count from last night was but last year there were approximately 1,500 people. Before we get into last night's pictures, let's have a little Pops at the Park flashback :)

2007 - We obviously had a Cinderella theme and of course I had to be Cindy :)
3rd place Best Theme


2008 - 80's theme...Rockin' the Madonna look. I think I had 20 lbs. of jewelry on. This was the only year we didn't place :(


2009 - Old West Saloon. We posted Wanted signs of our EKU prez, who was also one of the judges. It's always good idea to personalize your table for one of the judges ;)
1st place Best Theme


2010 - The overall theme was Beach Party so our demented minds took it to a whole new level and did a spin off of the oil spill. We had the clean up crew and a couple of beach go-ers. I made us shirts that said "Clean Up Crew" except little Madison's shirt said "Boss". She definitely worked it! So cute.


Luckily, I had a random piece of plywood in my garage and made this sign.


Then I went to Goodwill and bought a bunch of sea life stuffed animals and dipped them in black paint, aka OIL. I also smeared oil on our table cloth.

Everybody that walked by our table would start laughing. One of the judges said, "I heard about this from the parking lot." There were actually 2 other tables that did the oil spill too but they didn't exactly go the same route as we did. All I gots to say is Go Big or Go Home! All that messy black paint got us 3rd place Best Theme so we were pretty happy!


The Office Quote of the Day:
When Michael's skirting a phone call, he gave me a list of places to say he is. Stopping a fight in the parking lot, an Obama fashion show, whatever that is. Or trapped in an oil painting. I'm going to save that one.
~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment