Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Seashell Keepsake Box

You may or may not have heard or seen all over my Facebook, but my brother got married in July in Lido Beach, Florida!  The last day we were there, my sister and I collected a whole bunch of seashells for a little project I had in mind.  When I got home, I went to Hobby Lobby and got one of those wooden boxes that come unfinished.  Sorry, but I forgot to take a before pic but surely you know what I'm talkin about.  The biggest dilema I had was figuring out what I was going to use to glue the shells to the box.  I knew hot glue wouldn't hold it, silicon would take too long to dry, and I was afraid that Liquid Nails wouldn't dry clear.  I went to Lowe's to see what kind of adhesives they had and next to Liquid Nails was this Power Grab stuff and guess what?.....It dries clear.....Bingo!  The best part about it is I got to use my gun thingy again for this stuff.  Ya'll know when I use this thing like I did for this project, I feel like a bad @$$! I was all excited at first but after applying it to 500 shells, my hand started to hurt.  The only other thing I used was textured spray paint.  It actually made it look like there was sand on the box. 

After I primed and painted it, I got to work and started gluing on the shells one side at a time.  I allowed 30 minutes to an hour for drying time before I moved on to the next side. 


I wanted to make them a box so that they could put little momentos from the wedding in the box....and that's exactly what they did. 


And I am happy to say that no shells have fallen off!  I was pretty worried about it but the stuff I used really stuck like glue (ha!) and dried clear.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment