Monday, January 31, 2011

Clouds In My Coffee

You're so vain, I'll bet you think this project's about you, don't you, don't youuuuu?

Sorry bout that. I couldn't help myself considering my next project is a vanity. This isn't just any ole vanity though! It was my Granny's and there's a possibility that it could have also been my great-grandmother's too.....my mom wasn't too sure on this history of this bad boy.....or girl......yeah, it's definitely a girl.


My mom has been trying to pawn my Granny's furniture on all of us, but to be honest, it just it's our style. However this bad boy girl, is different from all of that Early American furniture she has. It's a little too fru-fru for me but I'm going to try to modernize it a bit by painting it either black, white or metallic silver and adding shiny, fancy hardware. I'm not a big fan of the scroll work or curly q's and don't even get me started on the flower motifs on the 2 larger drawers. I am not a flower girl......well, I was a flower girl once in my cousin Lisa's wedding but that's neither here nor there. I talked to my dad about possibly filling in the flower part with wood filler but I think it would make it look like something was missing. We have plenty of time to figure it out since we're still in the stripping and sanding phases.

She's been sitting in a bedroom for years with it's 2 coats of paint and a couple layers of dust. When I was at my parents' house last weekend I decided to pull her out and stare at her for a bit and figure out what I was gonna do with her. When I rolled it out (thank God it's on casters), I was thinking, "Geez-oh-pete, you're heavy!" Then I opened the drawers and found 2 tin cans of change that my Granny had left in there. I'm sure I'm not the only one who had a grandparent that kept stashes of change all over the house. I loved seeing her scribbly-granny-handwriting. And how cute is it that she wrote down the total and marked it out 3 different times as she added more change? For those of you that don't know, my Granny passed away 6 years ago so it was a pleasant surprise finding these stashes-o-change.


I guess she didn't want to total all those pennies. LOL. It's ok, Granny. I wouldn't have wanted to count all those pennies either.

Let the stripping begin! You can see where we my dad was showing me a couple different stripping methods. Ok, hold up!....I'm not really liking how this is sounding. My dad is not a stripper-stripper. He only strips the paint off of furniture!

To get the 2 coats of paint off, we thought it would be easier to use this method: Hot air gun and scraper-thingy.

I gotta say.....this was not fun. I am way too A.D.D. for this. The good news is when I talked to my mom yesterday, she said dad was outside working on it. :) I'm glad we're tackling this together(?) because it would never get done if it were just me. I spent about 45 minutes working on it then I had to go upstairs and watch Oprah announce her big shocking family secret that she had a half-sister she never knew about.

Several months ago, my dad was playing with a stripper that my uncle was telling him about. Seriously! I need help re-wording this. I don't know how else to put it! Anywho, he went ahead and stripped the 2 smaller drawers and sanded them. Look how smoooooth. Ignore that ugly wooden knob. It's gots ta go!



Here's a better shot of the flower on the drawer. Ya'll got any suggestions? I can't wait to show you all the finished product cuz right now, it ain't lookin' so hot.




The Office Quote of the Day:

I don't care if Ryan murdered his entire family, he is like a son to me.

~Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment